Bates Wells Braithwaite
BWB is a professional services consultancy, combining a top legal practice with impact advisory and compliance advisory services. The firm works with a wide range of clients, large and small, across a variety of sectors – from established businesses, charities and social enterprises to innovative start-ups and high-profile individuals.
Working in a heavily controlled sector such as awarding carries an increased risk of regulatory/legal action, therefore the Federation of Awarding Bodies (FAB) are delighted to announce that we have teamed up with Bates Wells Braithwaite (BWB) to provide FAB members with a package of professional legal support.
BWB is one of the few law firms that has significant expertise in dealing with Ofqual and the other qualifications regulators, both in obtaining regulatory opinions on proposed business structures and in representing organisations in contentious situations. They have also advised FAB members on many other areas, including making reasonable adjustments, handling malpractice, responding to whistle blowers and managing non-compliant centres etc.
A document containing information about the legal services BWB provides for awarding organisations and contact details for its awarding organisations team can be found here: BWB Awarding Organisations.
Further information can be found on the BWB website.
The special arrangement for FAB members is:
- 2 free initial 15 minute telephone calls to discuss any legal issues
- a fixed fee (£250 +VAT) 1 hour consultation (including 30 minutes preparation time)
- 5% discount on any subsequent work.
At the heart of Bindmans is a commitment to justice and our clients. We are a highly successful law firm offering a range of specialist legal services. We have a reputation for excellence and for being at the cutting edge of legal developments - particularly in relation to issues around human rights, discrimination and public authorities’ powers.Outstanding expertise in apprenticeships and technical qualifications
The apprenticeships and technical qualifications sector is a complex one that has faced a number of profound regulatory and commercial changes over the past decade. The 2016 Skills Plan, the Apprenticeship Levy, the aim of 3 million apprenticeship starts by 2020, and, the rush to plug the skills gap in light of Brexit; all mean that the pace of change in the sector is relentless. Few practitioners have the depth of experience in the sector to truly understand how such major changes affect providers. Selman Ansari is a public and regulatory law specialist who has been retained by a number of Awarding Organisations over several years of advising the sector. He, therefore, has a unique understanding of the regulatory and commercial issues affecting Awarding Organisations.
Services for FAB members
Bindmans’ expertise is in understanding, advising on, and, where necessary, challenging public policy. Our involvement in the sector means that we can advise on all aspects of qualifications and apprenticeships policy. In particular, we have advised on the following:
- The implications of the Skills Plan and the Technical and Further Education Act
- Forward planning for Awarding Bodies under the new Skills Plan regime
- Relations with the Education and Skills Funding Agency
- The new apprenticeships framework – including commercial arrangements underneath it
- The Apprenticeship Levy
- Relations with Ofqual
- Drafting of Centre agreements
- Advice on Equality law, particularly in relation to assessments
- Procurement law
- Data protection and data sharing, particularly in relation to the handling of learner data
We value our involvement in the sector, we are therefore delighted to offer the following discounted rates to FAB members:
- Initial free telephone consultation
- Fixed fees for subsequent 5 hours of work or part thereof at £200 +VAT per hour. We are confident that most non-complex work (for which a fixed fee will not be suitable) should be covered by this rate, offering significant control of costs
- 10% discount on subsequent hourly rate